Saturday, April 30, 2011

First Century: Tarwheel

I just completed my fastest century ever, at 7 hours and 30 min. Actually, it helped that the course was completely flat, there was little wind, and the weather was sunny and mild (70 degrees -- perfect!)

The ride went from Elizabeth City west, then south, then northeast. I saw Hertford and Edenton, both charming little towns on Albemarle Sound. There is deep, rich history to this part of the Carolina coast. There was farmland on either side of the road for nearly the entire ride. Sometimes the water lapped on near the side of the road. In a few places, near both sides of the road.

My bike rode like a charm. At 90 miles I noticed how it was gliding noiselessly across the landscape. I had taken the time to clean it after riding in the rain last weekend. I also cleaned the chain and re-lubricated it.

And, the old body held out pretty well, too. I had a little soreness in the right knee, but by evening it had passed. If that's the worst I get out of a century, I will count myself lucky!

It's interesting how people prepare for a long bike ride. I've been giving lots of thought to preparing for this early season century. I took a long bike tour in March, and did a 75-mile rehearsal the week before. It was a stretch to go to 100 from 75, but I took the risk because Tarwheel was so flat. And, once on the road, I tried to take it easy for the first segment -- just so I'd have something in the tank at the end.

On the ride, however, there were clearly people who were not ready. As they rolled into the 25-mile rest stop, they were clearly in pain. They had that look on their face that indicated this was not working out. And, once dismounted, they would walk away gingerly toward the picnic tables. Now, keep in mind, there was nothing difficult about the first 25 miles. It was like the rest of the ride: flat, cool, calm, sunny, and smooth. So one has to wonder what folks expect on an endurance bike ride. Do they not know how to pace themselves? Is the century the first time they climbed on a bike this year? Ever? If so, I admire their pluck (if not their judgment).

No comments:

Post a Comment