Sunday, April 10, 2011

Bicycling and Weight Loss

There has been much written about this subject, and I think I've bought all of it. My weight loss has been mostly due to biking, so let me offer the million-and-first thought on the subject.

I think the books and the literature have it backward. They suggest that weight loss is a good reason to go bike riding. The exercise is often presented as part of a 'larger' weight-loss program. For me, it worked the other way. Let me explain:

I bike with a smile. I enjoy the ride when I'm on it, re-experience it as I fall asleep, and focus great attention on the next one. I talked to a life-long runner yesterday, and he did not have the same attitude toward running.

In my current drive to lose weight, the cycling came first. I got into serious portion control and counting calories, fat, and fiber only when I realized that without losing weight I would not achieve my century goals. In fact, I believe weight gain was one of the reasons I stopped doing centuries in 2005.

I think we all recognize that weight loss is a 'mind game' we play on ourselves. For me bicycling is the reason to lose the weight. Sixty three pounds of it as of this morning!

The way I see it, I've lost three bikes worth of weight. (Okay, three really light bikes -- but they're getting heavier!)

No comments:

Post a Comment