Sunday, October 8, 2017

The Flattest Hundred



Fairfield, CA. Yesterday I finished the flattest and fastest metric century of my career. The Sacramento Century Challenge begins literally in the shadow of the state capitol building, and winds south through the flat delta of the Sacramento River. The only hills were the few times we climbed up from the plane of the farmland to the top of the levy. I think we did that three times..

I Need Some Encouragement on My Diet
It was a bright, cloudless day that began in the 50s and ended in the 80s. We experienced the lightest of wind during the day, and at times it was hard to tell what direction it was coming from.

California highway maintenance crews were repaving one of the connecting roads, and this created a mile-long single-lane road.Thus, on the way out and the way back cyclists would gather at the entry point and chat. It was a unique ability to meet with people (other than the rest stops).



There Were Several "Tree Tunnels"
Most of the delta is farmland, with many vineyards. But, there were several areas where the trees along the road were spared as the land was cleared.

I'll write more, but I wanted to post some of the pictures from the ride before I checked out of my hotel room and lost the high-speed internet connection.  


Our View at the Start and the Finish




















It was amazing how I could enjoy scenery with so little hills, but as you can tell, there were lots of neat things to take pictures of:

The morning light through the trees on the river.


The Vineyards

View from the top of the levy to the road ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment