Saturday, June 8, 2013

Life Gets in the Way

It's interesting how the future never unfolds the way we expect. I retired last August, and I had every reason to expect that cycling would become a much more common pastime. It certainly was for the first six months. Once winter settled in, however, other things began to fill in my list of daily activities. Alas, most of those things did not involve fitness or exercise.  So, by the time green shoots of spring appeared, I had settled in to a sedentary pattern of life. While there have been bicycle rides in the past few months, I have not been able to include cycling on the scale I did it even a recently as six months ago.

I'm happy to report that most of these distractions are good things: we're arranging for a new kitchen, I'm working on my dissertation, and I just finished a nice cruise vacation with Robbie. So, unlike many folks my age, I have not been laid up by serious medical issues.

So, now that we've returned from our travels as a couple, and while our house is barely liveable, I've decided to drive across the country to Colorado, stopping at great rail trails along the way. What better way to reconnect with my favorite sport and provide grist for the blogmill. Starting next week, you'll be able to find photos of the 2013 Road Trip. You can expect views of ribbons of trail, rail-trail artifacts, and tunnels of trees. I expect it will all end with a ride up the Continental Divide in Colorado. By the time I get home, I expect the indoor air will be breathable again.

Until then, happy trails!  - KWC

No comments:

Post a Comment