Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ohio: Lingering on a Perfect Day

Xenia, Ohio. One of the benefits of riding a 'do-it-yourself'' century is the ability to control the timing. Thus, if the weather is sparkling (70 degrees, no wind, etc.), then you can take your time doing 100 miles. Xenia is the intersection of five, long rail-trails. There is s substantial infrastructure for cycling, including some rebuilt 'train' stations with amenities. The trails are all paved, and, as they follow the old railroad, have only the slightest of uphill & downhill grades. Is there any wonder that I would linger in this area?

The Little Miami Trail is the main trail through Xenia. The Creekside Trail leads West to downtown Dayton. There's an Eastbound Prairie Grass Trail out of town that goes for 29 miles. Finally, the Jamestown Connector begins (now) just out of town. The plan is to connect it under route US-35, but that may take several years.

Who Would NOT Want to Linger on a Day Like This!
Giving myself  permission to linger, I stopped at a well-known ice-cream place in Spring Valley. At 93 miles, just about any ice cream is going to taste great, but this was truly delectable.

It was a bittersweet moment as I rode into the Xenia Station parking lot for the last time. I was tired, to be sure, but I left with deep appreciation for the attention local governments have paid to creating a massive (and paved!) cycling network.

Wildlife: This was a major cardinal-viewing day. They seem to like to swoop across the trail in front of a cyclist. Two deer crossed the trail in front of me, and I thought I got a picture. Alas, it did not come out. I saw a chipmunk hiding in a hole in the asphalt on the trail. The cottontail rabbits seemed to enjoy scampering in the grass on the margins of the trail. I shot a picture of a tern in the Mad River near Dayton, as I avoided the 'evidence' of the several flocks of Canada Geese.

With Ohio, the state count is now up to 40! And, in two days, I will add Arkansas to the total.

No comments:

Post a Comment