Tuesday, November 15, 2011

End of a Great Season

Springfield, VA. With the previous weekend, this brings to an end a season of highly satisfying accomplishments. All told, I completed centuries in fourteen more states. My total at the end of 2011 is thirty-five states. I have achieved probably the most important accomplishment of all: I feel great! I'm planning on celebrating this Saturday by doing a century (what else!) from my own front door.

I spent last weekend in Georgia's beautiful fall countryside on roads that could not be more deserted. The ride was called "Cruisin' in the Country" and it certainly lived up to its billing! The weather was much like the first century of the year: 70 degrees and no wind! Even though equipment problems kept me from finishing the 100, I did rocket along at a 16-mph pace -- my fastest yet.

I've updated the map at the bottom of the page to show my plans for next year. In the coming weeks, I'll post more reflections of this year and more information on the rides I plan to do in 2012. The short version is: I expect to finish all but Alaska in 2011, and knock off the fiftieth state in July of 2013. That gives me some slack so that, if I fail to complete a century in 2012, I have the first half of 2013 to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment